A future through hockey. Hockey Dreams Foundation aims to enable a better future through hockey. We do this by developing sustainable hockey communities: the hockey pitch provides a background for local learning opportunities. Coaches and kids from communities with challenging circumstances come together through their shared passion for the hockey sport.
How we do it
Together they play, share, learn and grow. Hockey Dreams Foundation is there to assist youth in realizing their ambitions for a better future. The players and coaches of today, gain the confidence and competences to be the game changers of tomorrow.
”Sport has the power to change the world.NELSON MANDELA
Ten coaches – from underprivileged areas – in every community each running a registered, active hockey club. These clubs oversee: training, competition, equipment and other matters that are common in sport organisations. All our coaches receive a monthly allowance (their first job) and most important: their school fees. Education first!
Hundreds of children mentored on and off the pitch by our coaches. The children learn the importance of cooperation, how to respect each other and how to set goals. Other subjects covered include health and hygiene. The coaches motivate the children to play in a safe environment and, by example, demonstrate that anyone can have a bright future despite where they come from.
Thousands of people are reached through the programs facilitated by Hockey Dreams Foundation – not only coaches and children. By creating a healthy and safe sport community we stimulate parents, family members, friends and other athletes to be part of this developed, self-sufficient and sustainable community.
The heroes of the community
The "much more than coaches"
For the coaches, we developed the Hockey Dreams Coach Academy. This is a trainee programme in which our coaches discover and develop their personal leadership and their ambitions. In other words, how they can be game changers in their community.
They prepare for the job market or an enterprise by finishing high school and continue with college or a micro credit. They gain new coach skills on the pitch, which gives them confidence in their organisational and leadership skills off the pitch.
Our coaches are in charge of their own route through the Academy. They are expected to plan ahead and take into account all the factors that affect their plan along the way. In this module our coaches:
- Write a Personal Development Plan (Basic)
- Pass Grade 12 and finish high school (Basic)
- Evaluate on their Personal Development Plan (Basic)
- Present their Personal Development (Basic)
- Finish Vocational Education or Start Small Business (Advanced)
- Final Personal Evaluation & Presentation (Advanced)
In this module the focus is on the ability of our coaches as a hockey coach. The skills they learn, are useful for the rest of their daily lives and career path. They learn how stand in front of a group, share knowledge, set boundaries and lead a team. The module includes:
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 1 (Basic)
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 2 (Basic)
- Referee course (Basic)
- Sport for Development Course (Basic)
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 3 (Advanced)
- Sport Coach Internship at local school (Advanced)
- Hockey Dreams Trip to the Netherlands (Advanced)
In the ‘Management’ module, our coaches get to develop and use their leadership skills as well as administrative competences.
- Computer Course (Basic)
- Be a Camp Manager at one of the self-organised hockey camps (Basic)
- Be a Tournament Director at one of the self-organised tournaments (Basic)
- An extra course of their choice (Basic)
- Job Application and CV workshop (Advanced)
- Workshop of their choice (Advanced)
- Extra course of their choice (Advanced)
The "future stars"
For the kids, the coaches are central in facilitating sport and play. The coaches grow into role models who create a safe environment where the kids make new friends, learn sportmanship and become team players.
Through hockey, kids practice communication skills, assertiviness, empathy and resilience. The coaches provide weekly training sessions in their communities or at public schools. They also organise hockey camps, leagues and tournament.
A sustainable community
Through our programmes, we are setting up sustainable hockey communities run by local people. At this point, Hockey Dreams is working in three African countries: Zambia, Malawi and Uganda.
Our coaches follow their education, we share our knowledge & provide equipment and each coach is assigned a project and responsibilities. The local coaches eventually set up their local NGO and choose their successors when a coach spot is available.
Our approach results in
We see the results of our method. Our coaches are attending school, developing as a person, able to take care of friends and family. The firsts of our coaches are finishing college and finding jobs now (our Graduates). They have become a role model for many people around them!
The impact on our coaches
- Engagement in education and future
- Personal development which has a positive effect in the rest of their lives
- Run an organisation and work in a team
- Be a role model to others
- Get involved in an international sport community
- Earn a living for themselves and their family
The impact on our kids
- Safe environment with positive participation; the feeling of belonging to a group where they feel secure enough to express themselves
- Resilience and empowerment
- Playing and doing sports creates connection and positive energy;
- Learning new skills; social skills (working together, dealing with losing or winning a game, explain something to each other, following rules), communicative skills and skills to improve their autonomy.
- Awareness social issues
- Stay away from bad behaviour
- Building relationships with their peers and their coaches, which both can be seen as a protection factor for a healthy development and growth
- Moving and playing sports improve mental and physical health and gain kids’ motor skills
At some point, the Hockey Dreams journey comes to an end for our coaches. It depends when, but they all have fulfilled the Academy and now follow their dreams. We like to call them our Graduates. How they do now? They will tell you themselves!
Would you like to support us in our mission?
With your help, we can keep supporting our coaches and kids. No matter how big or small the donation is.