A future through hockey. Hockey Dreams Foundation aims to enable a better future through hockey. We do this by developing sustainable hockey communities: the hockey pitch provides a background for local learning opportunities. Coaches and kids from communities with challenging circumstances come together through their shared passion for the hockey sport.
”Sport has the power to change the world.NELSON MANDELA
Ten coaches – from underprivileged areas – in every community each running a registered, active hockey club. These clubs oversee: training, competition, equipment and other matters that are common in sport organisations. All our coaches receive a monthly allowance (their first job) and most important: their school fees. Education first!
Hundreds of children mentored on and off the pitch by our coaches. The children learn the importance of cooperation, how to respect each other and how to set goals. Other subjects covered include health and hygiene. The coaches motivate the children to play in a safe environment and, by example, demonstrate that anyone can have a bright future despite where they come from.
Thousands of people are reached through the programs facilitated by Hockey Dreams Foundation – not only coaches and children. By creating a healthy and safe sport community we stimulate parents, family members, friends and other athletes to be part of this developed, self-sufficient and sustainable community.
The heroes of the community
The "much more than coaches"
For the coaches, we developed the Hockey Dreams Coach Academy. This is a trainee programme in which our coaches discover and develop their personal leadership and their ambitions. In other words, how they can be game changers in their community.
They prepare for the job market or an enterprise by finishing high school and continue with college or a micro credit. They gain new coach skills on the pitch, which gives them confidence in their organisational and leadership skills off the pitch.
Our coaches are in charge of their own route through the Academy. They are expected to plan ahead and take into account all the factors that affect their plan along the way. In this module our coaches:
- Write a Personal Development Plan (Basic)
- Pass Grade 12 and finish high school (Basic)
- Evaluate on their Personal Development Plan (Basic)
- Present their Personal Development (Basic)
- Finish Vocational Education or Start Small Business (Advanced)
- Final Personal Evaluation & Presentation (Advanced)
In this module the focus is on the ability of our coaches as a hockey coach. The skills they learn, are useful for the rest of their daily lives and career path. They learn how stand in front of a group, share knowledge, set boundaries and lead a team. The module includes:
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 1 (Basic)
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 2 (Basic)
- Referee course (Basic)
- Sport for Development Course (Basic)
- FIH Hockey Coach Level 3 (Advanced)
- Sport Coach Internship at local school (Advanced)
- Hockey Dreams Trip to the Netherlands (Advanced)
In the ‘Management’ module, our coaches get to develop and use their leadership skills as well as administrative competences.
- Computer Course (Basic)
- Be a Camp Manager at one of the self-organised hockey camps (Basic)
- Be a Tournament Director at one of the self-organised tournaments (Basic)
- An extra course of their choice (Basic)
- Job Application and CV workshop (Advanced)
- Workshop of their choice (Advanced)
- Extra course of their choice (Advanced)
The "future stars"
For the kids, the coaches are central in facilitating sport and play. The coaches grow into role models who create a safe environment where the kids make new friends, learn sportmanship and become team players.
Through hockey, kids practice communication skills, assertiviness, empathy and resilience. The coaches provide weekly training sessions in their communities or at public schools. They also organise hockey camps, leagues and tournament.
Would you like to support us in our mission?
With your help, we can keep supporting our coaches and kids. No matter how big or small the donation is.